Monday, January 21, 2008

Cold Weather Running

This is the third day in a row that I have gone for a run in below freezing temperatures. I was talking with a friend this morning about running in the cold and we then got into marathons we have run in cold weather.
Almost 30 years ago a group of us used to go to the Prevention Marathon in Pennsylvania the first Sunday in March. Prevention was a magazine that promoted healthy living. Anyway the second year we went down the temperature was really cold, I think around 12 F but it was bright sunshine and windy. The course was out and back then out and back again. On the way out the wind would be at your back and it would feel quite comfortable and of course you would sweat. When you turned around to run back it would be freezing and then all the sweat would freeze. I remember someone telling me that I had an icicle hanging from my ear and discovering that indeed I had one about 3 inches long. It was a tough marathon but everyone there seemed to enjoy it.
After the race was over there would be a huge buffet meal, with lots and lots of health food type dishes. Which was a great treat and made all the hard work worth while.

No comments: